Friday, July 5, 2013

Fig and Lavender Compote

This recipe is so simple, and makes such a great accompaniment to any kind of poultry or meat, as well as cheese! You know me, if it goes with either of those two, then I’m down.


Makes: about 1.5 cups
Time: 30 min. approximately

Ingredients

1 cup fresh figs, destemmed and quarted
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
juice from ½ a lemon
1 sprig lavandar
2 pinches salt
1 pinch fennel pollen


Method

After you have destemmed and quartered your figs, combine them in a pot with the water, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pollen. A quick side note- you can almost always find lavender at your local farmer’s market, or even by the side of the road if you’re lucky! I grow mine in my front garden, and so far I have not managed to kill it, which says a lot about the plant. I order my fennel pollen online and have not seen it in stores. It is one of my all time favorite ingredients, and adds a beautiful ethereal layer of flavor to almost any food. I would try to describe it's essence better, but to me it just tastes like sunshine.

Tie your sprigs up in a cheesecloth bundle, or enclose them in a tea ball infuser. Place the lavender in the pot along with the other ingredients, and turn the heat to medium. Let everything simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 3 Tbsp. worth. Taste and adjust to your preferences. Then turn off the heat, and blend. Voila! Fresh fig and lavender compote that can even be jarred and stored to use during the long dreary winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment