Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Food Philosophy #3- If It Smells Good, It Is Good

“Do you smell that?” My boyfriend’s nose lifts in the air as he inhales deeper. I follow suit, as we continue to make our way down Market St. towards the Ferry Building’s farmer’s market.

“Oh My God, what is that?!?” I have never smelled anything this good. It reminds me faintly of roast chicken, but richer, deeper, sexier. I am now powerless to do anything but find the source of this aroma, and luckily the boyfriend is in happy agreement. As we continue down our original path the crave-inducing fragrance intensifies, it must be coming from a food tent at the Farmer’s Market- what luck! (Though I would have followed it across the state if necessary.)

Making our way through the tents filled with luscious produce and stunning flowers, I find myself wishing I could survive solely from inhales. When we spot the tent that has a line winding back so far it is impossible to see the end of, we know this must be the source. My mouth pools with an ocean tide of drool as I am completely submerged in this Siren scent.

The sun beats down and the line moves forward at a tortuous pace, but that magnificent aroma is more than enough motivation to hold steady. We’re so close! Finally, I spot through gaps in the line a truck that is basically a huge rotisserie on wheels. Each rack is strung with golden, perfectly cylindrical roasts that drip glistening droplets of fat as they slowly rotate. By now I am all animal instinct, a lion that has one singular goal in life.


As we inch forward a sign comes into view and I can make out the words Porchetta Sandwich, but I have never heard of such a thing. It hardly matters. Whatever it is, I know down to my very soul it will be life-changing. Finally, at last, it is our turn. The angel behind the cash register hands us our treasure, explaining that porchetta is “pork belly rubbed with fresh herbs and garlic, wrapped around a pork tenderloin, and roasted on a rotating spit." And I thought nothing could make me want this sandwich more.

Before even finding a seat, I am tearing into the bag and lifting my prize to my mouth. My teeth sink into the bread, which is glorious in and of itself, but the meat within obliterates my world. It is silken and plump, meltingly tender and slippery with the salty, velvety, fat that screams of bacon and all that is holy. The intense roasted essence of the meat is married melodiously with the slight bitterness of arugula and sweet tinge of onion marmalade. But that’s not even the best part. The part that is truly transcendent are the ‘cracklings’ hidden within the sandwich, which are little pieces of shatteringly crisp belly skin.


The pleasure of this moment is so exquisite I wonder if I will ever again taste something as good as this. I highly doubt it.

It’s been years since my first taste of Roli-Roti’s porchetta sandwich, and I still have yet to taste anything better. I also have yet to smell anything better, and I believe the two go hand in hand. Since the day I smelled Roli-Roti, I have lived my life by the unwavering belief that if something smells good, it always tastes good too. As a result, good smells have led me into some amazing as well as terrifying places, but every last one has ended in an unbelievably good meal.

There was even one tiny, grungy taqueria across from my apartment in god forbid, the Tenderloin, that smelled way too good to be true. I have never been less sure about eating somewhere but I had to try it, if only to test my smell theory. This was the place I discovered deep fried bacon and steak fajitas- enough said.

 What I’ve learned above all else from following my nose is that sometimes, things really are that simple. The older I get the more cynical, negative, and judgemental I seem to become. I often catch myself looking for all the reasons not to act, not to decide, for fear of being disappointed. But following my nose reminds me that when I feel that burning certainty deep down inside that this could be it, whether it is a startling new dream for my life or just a sandwich -go for it! Stop doubting and worrying, forget the obstacles, the what-ifs, and the worst possible outcomes. Have faith that if it smells good, it is good.

 Until the next bite,
 Jenn

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely well-written post...such wonderful "life" advice from one so young...so happy that you are following your passions in life...so happy that your passions make your life even more wonderful beyond the simple peace that having a wonderful home and adoring boyfriend must surely bring you...and I can think of very few who are as deserving as you, my dear niece!! Love and hugs to you and your entire family...animals are of course included in the hugs !!!

    ReplyDelete