Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Food Philosophy #4- You have to eat to live, why not live to eat?

“If there was a pill that provided all of my nutritional requirements I would happily take that over eating.”
-Jenn Davis

How could you possibly want to take a capsule over eating these? 

That is something I actually used to say, back when I was still an undergrad. I can hardly believe it now, but keep in mind at the time I felt my limited funds were better spent on drinking-focused activities rather than eating. Plus, the summer I said this blasphemous statement most frequently, I happened to be living at a frat house that had it’s own pool (long story, one I will save for another time). Happy side effect of subsisting on a mainly liquid diet? You look fantastic in a bikini. I still burst out laughing at the fact that these were actual thoughts I entertained. In my head, and everything. Possibly (probably) even spoke aloud.

Now all of my thoughts consist of, “Oh my god what I’m eating is so fricken good,” or “How far away is the next meal at which I will be able to eat something good? That far? Maybe I should have a snack.”

I am now firmly, without doubt, in the live-to-eat-camp. If it has to do with food? You have my attention. For instance in high school I could never wrap my head around Chemistry, but the moment I read all about proteins and lipids in Harold Mcgee’s book it all made sense. And on top of that? It was actually interesting.

Basically, if we’re going to be straight up honest here, my dearest wish in life is to be able to constantly eat, without ever filling up. I have the heart of the fattest fat kid you will ever meet, and it takes extreme determination to ensure my ass doesn’t grow to match.

Joking aside, I truly believe that eating just for the sake of eating, is important. Of course the end result, of nourishing oneself and satisfying hunger is the key goal, but taking pleasure from the act itself can be soul-satisfying on a different level.

There is nothing I’d rather do more than sit with a loved one and talk over a meal for hours, slowly savoring each bite, maybe taking a few extra even though your stomach is full, just because it tastes good. It’s decadent, its luxurious, and it speaks directly to that underlying desire for complete indulgence. Yes eating is a necessary act, but it’s also a seductive one, and therefore should be enjoyed.


Eating should be deliberate for reasons other than pure pleasure, as well. Have you noticed how when you rush through a meal without really noticing it you still feel hungry after? It’s easy to dash through life, to hurry to the end result and forget to notice the journey. Of course it’s simpler to just cram down a power bar during your drive to work, rather than wake up early and cook an omelet.  But is it really more nourishing? Are you really as satisfied?

Of course in a perfect world we would all be able to whip up gorgeous omelets and savor them slowly in bed, but the fact of the matter is, most of us have jobs. And families. And shit that needs to be dealt with now, not an hour from now when you’ve had your leisurely breakfast. During the week I myself can easily turn into the auto-maton eater, cooking the same breakfast every day, forcing it down just so I can start my day with some protein and vitamins, not because I’m actually hungry or excited to eat. But I also make sure I find time to eat for pleasure and appreciate the experience.


It could be as simple as taking a second to grab some fresh rosemary from the garden to add to my chicken salad, or it could be as elaborate as spending all day in the kitchen cooking a fabulous feast for dinner. And on the days I don’t have time for any of that bullshit? I at least try to stop and notice the nuttiness of my power bar.

Until the next bite,
Jenn



No comments:

Post a Comment